Thursday, September 8, 2011

Read This: Forever

Forever
by Maggie Stiefvater

Just So You Know
I read this ARC as part of Banned Book Tours in exchange for an honest review.

The Short Story 
Grace is a wolf, Sam is a boy, Cole is somewhere in between, Isabel is trying to keep it all a secret. And then the bad guys want to hunt down the wolves once and for all. Without the older wolves around to help, the teens have to try to figure out what to do. A satisfying conclusion to the Shiver series, that leaves some things up to the reader's imagination.
4/5

Come for the...
supporting characters. My absolute favorite thing about this book was how much focus there was on Isabel's and Cole's story lines. It was really interesting to read about how much their characters have changed over the course of the series. Even though Cole wasn't in Shiver, he easily became my favorite character. Watching him play mad scientist in this one was just really funny to me. And Isabel was many kinds of awesome. I also really liked that each narrator had a distinct voice. I never had a hard time keeping track of who was talking to me.

Another thing I really enjoyed were the attempts at realism in a obviously fictional, couldn't actually happen, story. I don't know much about infectious diseases, but I liked that lycanthropy was explained as a disease (instead of not at all). And I loved that the police actually tried to figure out what happened to Grace, and took Sam in for questioning. Because in real life if someone goes missing, the police would be involved. And the mysterious loner boyfriend would be the prime suspect. The premise is still unrealistic, but I liked the touches of real life here and there.

Stay for the
parental interaction; the ending that gives just enough.

Don't think about this too hard
  • Sam gets a little emo poetry throughout this one. He's kind of slow and mopey for much of the book, so that may bother the Sam fans out there. I think his chapters made the pace of the book feel a little slow at times, too.
  • I thought the cover was interesting, until my husband pointed out all of the tangents on it. (He does illustration and graphic design work, so he can't not notice). I can't unsee them anymore. Don't look at the trees, people.

The Big Three
Language: frequent profanity, but no f-words
Sex and Stuff: kissing, nakedness, and then some, but none of it is descriptive
Violence: some shooting, wolf fighting, and a lot of blood (including a couple of gory descriptions)

7 comments:

  1. awesome. I started this one last night. Honestly, I think I like Cole the most. :)

    Excellent thoughts on forever. Now I am off to look up tangents(?).
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, thanks for link. I learned about tangents. (things that have always bothered me but didn't know they had a name)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review. I'm so starting this series soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, lol. I'm happy you could learn about tangents. :) I'll have to check out your review when you finish reading Forever. I think there are a few of us who are Cole fans.

    Juju, it's an interesting series. At least now they're all out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This review is excellent. It makes me want to read the whole series. My first thought was that I really liked the cover- but I don't want to go back and look at it too much after your husband's comment. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tangents?Looking up.

    I wanted to buy the series but as always, I'm broke. Just have to pray that there's a copy in the library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fairday, thanks! It's an interesting series. And once you know what tangents are you will see them everywhere!

    Jez, hopefully there are copies in your library! That's where I got the first two.

    ReplyDelete