Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Boy Books

One of the bad things about only posting Monday/Wednesday/Friday is that I miss out on a lot of the fun Tuesday/Thursday post idea. So, bonus post today!

Also, don't forget to enter to win Supernaturally (open until Friday 8/19) here.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday is a freebie. So I wanted to list the 10 books I picked out for the 10 (book) Boy Summer. Basically, they're YA books written by men, with males as the main character. (Listed in the order I read them, not ranked) Links go to my review, or goodreads if I haven't reviewed the book yet.



1. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner. More twists and turns than the first book. 
2. The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan. Started out a little slow, but then got un-put-downable.
3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. Didn't work for me, but they're making a movie out of it.
4. Bruiser by Neal Shusterman. Like nothing else I've read in YA, and I loved it.
5. The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. This was crazy, and good, and crazy some more.
6. Paper Towns by John Green. I wasn't expecting to like this, but it was one of the most honest YA books I've read this year.
7. Mexican WhiteBoy by Matt de la Peña. There's a lot of baseball.
8. Happyface by Stephen Emond. This has pictures. Lots of funny pictures.
9. Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher. I just finished this last night, and it was a lot more intense than I was expecting.
10. Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi. This is the only one I haven't read yet, but it's a Printz Award winner, so I'm hoping to like it!

10 comments:

  1. I'd add Ashfall - new YA book by Mike Mullin with a great male main character. It's on NetGalley now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list. I've realized how rare a male YA POV book is. But, maybe, that's because I hang around mostly with women who read YA, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I didn't think you'd be able to come up with 10. Shows what I know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interested to read the Knife of Never Letting Go! I can handle crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun topic for a list and reading project! And what fun books you put on the list too! I love books with the guy's POV view.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have been able to come up with 10 books with boy pov and male author. The only ones I could think of were all John Green books. Paper Towns being my favorite of his..

    ReplyDelete
  7. BookGal, thanks! Now I'm on the lookout for good YA by male authors. I'll take a peek at NetGalley.

    Jenni, lol. Even the YA my husband reads tends to have female main characters... possibly because I'm the one recommending the books to him. :)

    Jenny, I wasn't sure I'd be able to hit 10, either. At least not without reading a lot of middle grade stuff. I actually had more than 10.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two Bibliomaniacs, I highly recommend the book. My only caution is that it's pretty violent and very sweary. My husband actually stopped reading it because he didn't like the language.

    Suey, now that I've found some, I do too! I wish I had read some of these as a teen. Boys were such a mystery to me. :)

    Must Love Books, I had help! :) And I actually didn't care for John Green before this, but Paper Towns was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome picks! I've only read The Throne of Fire, but it was great! Can't wait to see your reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great list. There is definitely not enough books geared to boys.

    ReplyDelete