Monday, August 8, 2011

Read This: Supernaturally

Supernaturally
by Kiersten White

The Short Story 
Evie has basically everything she's ever wanted: a normal life, freedom from IPCA, a great boyfriend, and even a locker. But the thing about having a normal life is that sometimes it's boring. Especially if you've spent most of your life being one of the most skilled paranormal trackers ever. Evie's become a fish out of water, trying to wade through P.E. and a boring, messy job. So it makes sense that she starts to look for more interesting things to spend her time on, even if they aren't the best idea. Not as good as the original, but still a fun, fast read.
4/5

Come for the...
story you don't usually get to read about. I don't know that I've ever seen a character have to work out, and be a little disappointed with, having what they've always wanted. But I think it's a very common occurrence; you work hard in high school to get into college. And then college is actually even more hard work. Or you finish college and get a job, only to find that working full time is kind of crappy. Most books/series end with the "happily what I wanted ever after," so it was refreshing to see a book that tackles what happens after.

And, while I could relate to the situation, I still got frustrated at times with Evie. Even she pointed out that she shouldn't whine after getting exactly what she thought she wanted. I think it annoyed me because I do the same thing! Some of Evie's choices were exceptionally stupid, like lying to nearly everyone. But White's humor and quick pace kept me from ever getting too bogged down.

Stay for the
chapter titles, again; the unicorn; vampire/Twilight jabs; the lack of formulaic tropes (like a love triangle); the final book in the series, Endlessly

Don't think about this too hard
  • I occasionally wanted to yell various things at Evie, like "Maybe try to figure out who you'd like to be" or "Being someone's girlfriend isn't much of an identity" Sometimes Evie got frustrating. 
  • The ending didn't quite work for me. And that's really all I'll say about it.

The Big Three
Language: the bleeps continue
Sex and Stuff: not an issue
Violence: not an issue

11 comments:

  1. I still haven't even read the first one. Sigh! Soon, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I haven't read this series, but I've heard lots of praise for it. I really enjoy your reviews
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. No love triangle?! I wouldn't mind reading a book without it. I need to read the first book first I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I have this one waiting for me.

    BTW, I love your review style! Very very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny, they're really fun books, if you get a chance to read them. :)

    Katie, thanks! I like the book because there's a lot of humor & they don't take themselves too seriously.

    Mari, isn't it great? I get tired of every book having a love triangle. I would read the first one before you pick up this one. It doesn't really stand alone.

    Juju, thank you! (And for all of your comments on the blog) I hope you like Supernaturally!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to start at the beginning , I'm allergic to starting with anything other than the first book in a series ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this review! I wanted to run out immediately and get a copy of this, but I decided to wait. I felt frustrated with Evie during the first book as well, so I'm pretty sure I'll feel the same way with this one. I totally want to read it just for the chapter titles, though. The titles in the the first book were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right that it's unusual to see a character be disappointed by achieving her dreams. It's like finding out that Cinderella hates the Prince. Definitely interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Penelope, you probably will. She's a little whiny in this one. But the titles continue to be awesome & silly.

    Alison, it's so true! I thought it was really interesting to see how what she wanted wasn't like what she thought it would be. (And someone should totally remake Cinderella like that)

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, I love your review style! So easy to read and really informative.

    I'm not super surprised about this book. I enjoyed Paranormalcy, but struggled with some parts because Evie got on my nerves then too.

    I think I'll eventually get to this book, but seeing as how I'm in sort of a slump- it's getting pushed to the end of my queue.

    Great review, Kathy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to read this one and Paranormalcy. I am so behind! There are just so many awesome books out there right now.

    Also, I’m a new follower—wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete