Monday, July 25, 2011

Read This: Bruiser

Bruiser
by Neal Shusterman

The Short Story 
Four narrators combine to the tell the story of "Bruiser," the scary loner who is hiding some big secrets. When twin siblings end up befriending him and figure out what's going on, the only people left to hide the truth from are themselves. Basically, just read this book.
5/5

Come for the...
story unlike anything else I've read. Bruiser was a really good book with fun, unique characters. I don't think it's difficult to figure out the "mystery" of the story, but that's sort of inconsequential. The interesting thing is not what's happening, but that it continues to happen even when people know about it. I felt so much for Bruiser. I think he had one of the best hearts of any of the characters I've read about.

The other characters were just as enjoyable and realistic for me. Tennyson and Bronte were funny and sad and good intentioned and selfish. (Although I thought Bronte was probably the least developed character in the book) Cody was innocent and naive and acted exactly like a kid who had never had consequences for his actions. The uncle was really bad, and then very human, which made him the most horrifying character in the book. I only wished we got a little more at the end.

Stay for the
mix of funny and sad; high-stakes little kid adventures; ending (if you are uncomfortable with allegory)

Don't think about this too hard
  • I thought the ending was a little abrupt, but otherwise I had no complaints about this one.

The Big Three
Language: not an issue
Sex and Stuff: not an issue
Violence: some violence, including abuse, but nothing super graphic or gory

3 comments:

  1. I sadly do not own this book yet, but I will have to shortly. I adore Shusterman and I'm so glad to see this book appearing on blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this one too. I agree with you about the overall plot of the book being more about the characters and their reactions, than about the big mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kaye, this is my first book of his, but I am a fan. :) I'm lucky my library has several of his books.

    Jenny, I think I first heard about this one on your blog, so thanks! :) I really liked the characters.

    ReplyDelete