Wednesday, June 15, 2011

WWW Wednesday

WWW Wednesday is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.
 
To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions…
• What are you currently reading?
• What did you recently finish reading?
• What do you think you’ll read next?


I'm currently reading Spells (the second in the Wings trilogy) by Aprilynne Pike. These books are kind of like the first Twilight. Not in terms of plot, but of the feeling that this shouldn't be a good book, but holy cow, I am really liking it. Although, Laurel is currently winning the crappy girlfriend award. If you want to be with one guy, it's probably best not to go on date-like events with a different one who also likes you. Just sayin.




 
I recently finished The Way He Lived by Emily Wing Smith. Before the book starts, Joel dies of dehydration on a Boy Scout trip. (This premise didn't sit well with me, mostly because my husband works with the teenage scouts in our church.) But the books isn't really about Joel's death. Told from the perspectives of six different people who knew him, the story's more about why he died than how.
It was blurbed by Sara Zarr, so I had high expectations. But it fell flat for me. Also the cover is kind of weird.




Up next I have a few options. Cast your vote in the comments!

The Forgotten Locket by Lisa Mangum.
All summaries from Goodreads.com
The future is uncertain. The battle to control the past has begun. The final book in the riveting Hourglass Door trilogy begins when Abby steps through the black door, and she doesn't dare look back. Though it means leaving Dante—wounded, bleeding, and possibly blind—she knows it is the only way to save her family and stop Zo from manipulating the river of time and throwing the future into chaos.





The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives. 




Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
A job in a clothes boutique introduces Auden to the world of girls: their talk, their friendship, their crushes. She missed out on all that, too busy being the perfect daughter to her demanding mother. Then she meets Eli, an intriguing loner and a fellow insomniac who becomes her guide to the nocturnal world of the town. Together they embark on parallel quests: for Auden, to experience the carefree teenage life she’s been denied; for Eli, to come to terms with the guilt he feels for the death of a friend.  

10 comments:

  1. I loved Along for the Ride and it would be a perfect summer read. So...that's my vote! I just started Spells as well! (although apparently I forgot I was reading it and didn't post it on my blog post today, lol)

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessi, I think Sarah Dessen books just say summer. (Even though I've only read one before.) You'll have to let me know what you think of Spells. I'm nearly done and liking it far more than I should. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have The Knife of Never Letting Go on my Kindle but I stopped reading it after the second chapter.

    I don't think it was due to it being rubbish just wasn't in the mood at the time. I'll pick it up again later (probably years later)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't get into the Wings books but I'm glad you're enjoying them. Since I didn't like the first Hourglass Door book and am not a big fan of Sarah Dessen, I vote for The Knife of Never Letting Go. I hear good things and have been trying to get to my copy for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my vote is for the knife book. looks interesting. i'm kind of into the idea of not girly books right now. but that's me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's why I've stayed away from Knife of Never Letting Go, too! I just wasn't in the mood for dark, violent books after I finished Hunger Games and the Maze Runner books.

    Jenny the Wings books are kind of sad, huh? It's like eating a marshmallow. I don't even really like them, but when I have them I eat them. And I enjoy it at the time. :)

    Rachel I've been pretty heavy on the chappy sick flicks, uh... books lately. It would be a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Knife of Never Letting Go sounds really interesting! I've have to put that on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the Knife of Never Letting Go sounds very interesting. I'm adding it to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Wings but just enjoyed Spells. I agree that Laurel is an awful girlfriend - although her intentions are good. I'm still super excited to read Illusions -hopefully this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, it's pretty unanimous for the Knife of Never Letting Go. I think I have a winner. :)

    And I do plan to read Illusions. I just found out it's not the last book in the series, though.

    ReplyDelete