Friday, June 10, 2011

Blog Hop, TGIF and Week in Review

Book Blogger Hop


“Who is the ONE author that you are DYING to meet?


Ok, I confess I'm not really dying to meet any authors because I'm actually fairly shy in real life and am easily star struck. Instead I'll tell the story of meeting Ally Condie. Back in March I went to Costco to pick up some pizza for the family, and I noticed a table with several copies of Matched and a tiny, dark-haired lady. (Seriously, she is tiny.) There were only a couple people there getting books signed, so I stood behind them with my plates of greasy pizza.

Then they left and it was just me and Ally. So I said the first (stupid) thing that came to mind, which was, "I'm not going to buy your book." awkward pause. "But I really liked it!"  I think there may have been a lot of enthusiastic nodding.

Thankfully she was very nice and we talked for a couple of minutes about her book, how clean it is, and how my husband thought Ky was better, but I was all for Xander. Then I left, and she was at her table all by herself. Which makes me think that Costco is the place to meet authors if you actually want to talk to them.



This Friday's Question:

YA Saves: How do you feel about the "dark" books 
filling the YA shelves today?

First, if you haven't heard, the Wall Street Journal published an article about YA books being full of "explicit abuse, violence and depravity." My thoughts?

Are some young adult books too dark for some readers? Uh, yeah. Obviously. It's hard to say no to a question with that many qualifiers. Some YA books have content that I'd rather not read, and I'm 28, married, and a parent. Even more have content that I think would be too much for my 14 year old nephew. (I thought this about Mockingjay, then came to find out he had already read and liked it). But I don't think that's reason enough to dismiss a whole genre.

So I have to wonder, who is this article complaining to? Parents? Educators? Authors? Teens? It seems like the target is people who want to get up in arms over something without thinking it out completely. (I can't say I've never belonged to that group, just that I don't on this issue). I remember what I had to read in high school: Shakespeare, One Flew Over the Coo Coo's Nest (at 15 people! No wonder I hated reading in high school), the Bible, Hemingway . . . you get the idea. There's plenty of violence, abuse, and depravity there.

I know YA is more problematic because it has young people doing the killing, abusing, boozing, etc. And no adult wants to think that the teens they care about are involved in those things (regardless of what they/their peers did in their teen years). But I think the better idea is to help adults know how to talk to their teens about difficult issues, not complain that there are books about them. If you can't openly talk to your kids about hard things, you have much bigger problems than them reading The Hunger Games.


This week on Read This Instead

My review of The Hunger Games Audiobook
The Irresistibly Sweet blog award
Vacation Giveaway (today is the last day to enter!)

15 comments:

  1. New follower here. So neat that you got to meet Ally Condie. That must have been interesting. As for the article, I think the issue is that it was poorly targeted and was written in an abrasive manner. I've seen an interview with the writer behind it and she insists that wasn't what she meant, though several points in her article beg to differ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Stopping by via the Hop. Would love to meet Ally Condie. Esp after I read her books! New follower. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!! My post this week is here.

    Don't miss loads of fun!

    ~Zakiya LadyWings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my page! I'd love to meet Ally Condie, I hear she's a major sweetheart!

    Amanda @ Letters Inside Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I can't stop laughing. That's hilarious!

    I can't believe you told her you weren't going to buy her book. Obviously she knew you read it though. Didn't you want a signed copy?

    You're too cute. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Ally Condie story! Meeting famous authors would totally freak me out too!! I agree with your take on the YA controversy too- it's all a matter of being aware of what your kids are reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a hilarious and unique story about how you met Ally Condie!! I feel like that was something I would do lol. Also, I didn't know they did book signings at Costco!

    I've added you to my RSS feed!

    --Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Every answer I’ve read is a great one. Some have been surprising, too.

    The one author I have to meet before I die? Tricky question! It took me a long time – much longer than usual – to come up with an answer.

    Who’s that author I’m dying to meet?

    Hop this way to find out my roguish answer – http://www.howardsherman.net

    Howard A. Sherman, Implementor
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice that you were able to meet Ally Condie in such a unique setting! :) They should have author signings at more unique places beyond bookstores! Thank you for visiting and happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ally is really such a nice person. I love her. I've had to opportunity to meet with her a few times and I just love her. I'm glad you had the chance to talk to her because I'd hate for you miss out on her sweet, lovable, and fun personality.

    Good response to the WSJ article. :) Have you read Alexie Sherman's response to it? It's fantastic! Here's the link: http://bit.ly/igUjbZ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shy in real life? hmmmmm...I'll have to think about that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the story about meeting Ally in Costco!!! I also like your view on the WSJ article. Yes some issues are meant for older readers but it should be a parent's decission to decide if their son/daughter is mature enough to handle the "dark" issues taking place in a book. That still is not enough amo to dismiss a whole branch of literature. Again, great post!
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha what you said to Ally Condie was so funny! I'm still in the midst of reading Matched, but I must say I like the cover (:

    (And I liked how you dropped The Hunger Games right at the end LOL)


    Check out my Follow Friday and My Book Blogger Hop

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh well put!! I totally agree with you. This is an individual issue that parents have to deal with not some mass movement that calls for a change in the genre!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with you too! There are some books that I don't want to read despite being an adult and that I definitely would veto my (future) kids reading at certain ages, but those books might be the exact ones that other people need to read.

    Returning the follow. ^_^


    ~Shalena @ Writer Quirk

    ReplyDelete
  15. How funny! I've communicated with Ally alot via email and she seems to be a sweet, down-to-Earth person. Sounds like that's exactly how she is IRL. Very cool.

    I actually skipped the Hop this week. Found you through Suey's blog instead. Glad to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete