Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Read This: The Scorch Trials

The Scorch Trials
by James Dashner

*** Here be Spoilers for The Maze Runner ***
The Short Story 
Thomas and friends have been rescued from the maze and are finally safe. Except, no, they're not! Wicked is still up to no good, and tells the Gladers and a mysterious new guy that they have all been infected with the Flare. This will kill them unless they can make it across the scorch in two weeks, where they'll be given the cure. At least, that's the story Wicked is telling. Action-packed, holy violence! read that is just as good (and just as bad) as the original.
4/5

Come for the...
continuation of the story. After the cliffhanger in The Maze Runner I couldn't read this one fast enough. This time around there was less of a feeling of confusion. You do get some answers, and a whole lot more questions, but it didn't bother me as much in this book. The characters are familiar, the evil government is familiar, and all around I had more of a feel for what type of story this would be.

That's not to say that it's predictable, though. Part of the familiarity was knowing that I wouldn't know what to expect, and I spent much of the last 1/3 of the book in a constant stream of "what? wait, what? seriously?!" I can't wait to see how this all ends up. I'll post my theories sometime closer to The Death Cure's release.
                          
Stay for the
new characters; the part with the noses (you'll know it when you get there); Minho, who is still the funniest person in the series; The Death Cure, out October 11.

Don't think about this too hard
  • Since this is for the 10 book Boy Summer, I especially felt the need to mention gender. The girls in this series are pretty underdeveloped. I thought Theresa's storyline here felt a little forced. Being violent doesn't make for a tough, well-rounded female character. Then there was the inexplicably forward Brenda, but I suspect there may be more to that in the next book.
  • The violence is over the top in some places. I actually had to skip a few paragraphs early on because it was too much for me. If you're sensitive to gore, skip the paragraphs after the part where they find a metal ball. What happens? Exactly what you think happens, in far more detail than you'd want.

The Big Three
Language: more slanguage bad words, but no "real" profanity
Sex and Stuff: some kissing
Violence: for me, it was excessive in parts. The violent parts were very descriptive and gory, past a level that I am comfortable with.

7 comments:

  1. I don't even want to say anything in my shame! I STILL have not got to these! I'm aiming for September as soon as I'm done with the books I set aside for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished it over the weekend and loved it. But it left me with even a bigger cliffhanger than the first book...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny I think you're smart to wait on these, since the last one won't be out until October. The cliffhangers are pretty brutal!

    Selina I know! That wasn't very fair. :) I really wonder how he's going to wrap the series up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two of my friends got to see James Dashner speak. They said he's awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really looking forward to The Death Cure! Can't wait to see how it all turns out. You can see my review of this book too if you like!

    KW
    http://www.ekfamilybooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 15 y.o. son just finished this one and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elisabeth that's cool. He was answering questions on twitter this morning and seemed really nice.

    KW oooh, I'll go check it out. :)

    Mary my 14 y/o nephew and my 30-something y/o brother in law both just finished these. (Oh, not his dad, in case you were wondering about the math)... They both really liked them, too.

    ReplyDelete