Wednesday, May 18, 2011

WWW Wednesday

WWW Wednesday is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.
 
To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions…
• What are you currently reading?
• What did you recently finish reading?
• What do you think you’ll read next?


 

My current read is The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson.
I just heard it was supposed to be good, but didn't know anything about it other than the blurb. It took me a couple of chapters to get used to Lennie's voice, but now I love, love, love it.




I just finished Delirium by Lauren Oliver & Real Live Boyfriends by E. Lockhart
        
Because apparently I am all about love stories lately.
Delirium was great. I'll post my review on Friday.
Real Live Boyfriends was hilarious. Ruby is possibly one of my most favorite YA characters. (I still can't tell if the girl on the cover is missing a finger, though, and this perplexes me more than it should)





Up next, I'm trying to decide what to read. These are the options.

Book of A Thousand Days by Shannon Hale 

After being imprisoned in a tower, a princess and her serving maid at last escape to find a changed world and danger at every turn.
 
This would work for Utah Authors Month






Putting Makeup on Dead People by Jen Violi 

Since her father’s death four years ago, Donna has gone through the motions of living: her friendships are empty, she’s clueless about what to do after high school graduation, and her grief keeps her isolated, cut off even from the one parent she has left. That is until she’s standing in front of the dead body of a classmate at Brighton Brothers’ Funeral Home. At that moment, Donna realizes what might just give her life purpose is comforting others in death. That maybe who she really wants to be is a mortician. 

This discovery sets in motion a life Donna never imagined was possible. She befriends a charismatic new student, Liz, notices a boy, Charlie, and realizes that maybe he's been noticing her, too, and finds herself trying things she hadn’t dreamed of trying before. By taking risks, Donna comes into her own, diving into her mortuary studies with a passion and skill she didn’t know she had in her. And she finally understands that moving forward doesn’t mean forgetting someone you love.

The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan

Ever since the gods of Ancient Egypt were unleashed in the modern world, Carter Kane and his sister Sadie have been in trouble. As descendants of the House of Life, the Kanes have some powers at their command, but the devious gods haven't given them much time to master their skills at Brooklyn House, which has become a training ground for young magicians.

And now their most threatening enemy yet - the chaos snake Apophis - is rising. If they don't prevent him from breaking free in a few days' time, the world will come to an end. In other words, it's a typical week for the Kane family.

To have any chance of battling the Forces of Chaos, the Kanes must revive the sun god Ra. But that would be a feat more powerful than any magician has ever accomplished.



Which would you pick?

10 comments:

  1. K, Real Live Boyfriends sounds hilarious but the cover is wigging me out! I've read Book of a Thousand Days and it's great but Putting Makeup on Dead People sounds good too. Aren't you glad you get to read them all, no matter the order?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'The Sky is Everywhere' is definitely one of my favourites. It's so so beautiful.

    Love Delirium and the Ruby books as well!

    Hmm... I would read 'Book of a Thousand Days' next, but that's because I haven't read any of Shannon's YA/middle grade, and I'm curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Delirium. I have the Sky is Everywhere, Throne of Fire, and Putting Makeup on Dead People all sitting here patiently waiting on their turn...lol. Real Life Boyfriends looks great, I'm going to have to look that one up!

    I just finished Rivermarked by Patricia Briggs. Not my favorite Mercy book, but still great. Now I'm ready Mercy by Rebecca Lim, it's strange so far...lol. Not sure what's next for me, I'll have to look at my schedule...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Putting Makeup on Dead People sounds interesting. I think if it was me I'd go with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've already read book of a thousand days (pretty good, standard shannon hale) so i'd probably pick the putting makeup on dead people. i actually know a guy that works at a funeral home, he's got some really interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I think you should read The Throne. It looks interesting. :)


    *~` http://rockielove.blogspot.com `~*

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful variety of books. I am personally looking forward to reading Rick Riordan's latest, The Throne of Fire.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following you now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny I know, right? I've been trying to do books by Utah authors for May, but I'm feeling a little limited. Maybe I should just read whatever I want. :)

    Ashley I really liked The Princess Academy by Shannon Hale, but then didn't like her adult novel at all. I'm hoping MG/YA is more her thing.

    Reading Angel do you ever feel overwhelmed with all the books waiting their turn? I have Mercy waiting for me from NetGalley (but it's been shuffled a little lower on the TBR if it's strange!), and I just got an email that Paranormalcy is waiting for me at the library. Ahh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. carole I love a quirky book, so I'm excited to read that one. :)

    Rachel you know everyone! I would be freaked out to work at a funeral home. I can only imagine what kind of stories they have...

    Rockie thanks! My husband is reading Throne of Fire right now and liking it. I'll have to steal it back from him sometime.

    Amy I'm following you, too. I love Rick Riordan's books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read Book of a Thousand Days, and it is very good. Hale is a wonderful writer.

    ReplyDelete