Friday, May 13, 2011

Stop Me If You've Heard This One...

Yay! Blogger is working again.

The past couple of weeks I was pretty sick, so I read a bunch of books. And I noticed something that kind of surprised me. I felt like I was reading the same book over and over!

Well, not exactly. I just read four books (nearly in a row) that started out with very similar plots. Of course, they weren't exactly the same. More like book brothers than book twins. But check out the descriptions and try to guess which book I'm describing.

Here's a hint: the answer is both.

The Goddess Test and Wicked Lovely

Not exactly human guy has problem that can only be solved with mortal girl.
Bad things will happen to the guy/the world if the problem isn't solved.
All previous mortal girls have met bad ends.
Main girl has to decide if she'll help, pass a test, and not get killed by the people out to get her.

If you can only read one: Wicked Lovely




Sweethearts and How to Say Goodbye in Robot 

Characters who feel like they don't fit in with their peers
Bullying
Serious family problems
Intense platonic relationship
Cool pink cover
All the sads

If you can only read one: Sweethearts
But read them both, just not back to back.




The Eragon series and The Wheel of Time series 

Old school fantasy
Heroes and dragons and swords  (oh my!)
Long, long, long
Evil, dementor-like creatures
Trechery

My husband brought this one to my attention (I struggle with fantasy) but he says he's enjoyed The Wheel of Time books more.


So, there you have it. Has anyone else noticed that some of their books start to sound alike after a while? What's an original book you've read recently?

4 comments:

  1. The most original book I've read this year was This Girl Is Different. I have high hopes for Putting Makeup on Dead People, too. I got that one from NetGalley and will probably start it once I finish all my library books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Eragon, but The Wheel of Time Series is by far the best out of the two. I wouldn't even pair them up together at all, both are fantasy, but they have very different content. I think the other books are all quite similar to each other though:)

    -Kate the Book Buff
    http://www.thebookbuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read all but The Wheel of Time series and Wicked Lovely. I totally agree with you, though. So many books not only have such similar stories but writing styles! It drives my crazy. Great observation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate thanks for letting me know. I'll have to tell my husband that those two end up being different. He's not that far in the Wheel of Time series, but I know he was disappointed after the first one with how similar they seemed.

    Jenny that bugs me too. I just finished The Dark Divine and thought it was like Twilight/Shiver 2.0 It was hard to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete