Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Can't Come to Utah, Either? Armchair BEA Comes to You


Today's Armchair BEA topic is best books you've read in 2011. But I already posted about that and will again in about a month. So, I'm taking yesterday's topic, which was: introduce yourself.

So this is me!


I grew up in Chicago and moved to Utah for college, which has been home for the last 10 years.
    My grandma, her three kids, me
    & my two siblings, and our kids
I have an older sister and a younger brother. We all live in different time zones now, but not because we don't get along. None of us live in Chicago anymore.
Also, I come from a family of giants (and people with bad vision). I'm nearly 5'8" and am by far the shortest.
    I met my husband in a country dance class. I took it in the hopes I would win DanceSport. He took it to fill a graduation requirement. The rest is history. :)


    My husband Rusty and our little guy
    Some day I would love to teach college. Before I decided to stay home with my kiddo I had a job where I got to co-teach a college class. It was a lot of fun. For now I get all my experience as a Sunday School teacher every other week. It's pretty intimidating, but I like it.
      I wasn't always a reader. Then having a small baby left me with a lot of limited mobility time, so I read. It wasn't until I picked up a series with a smart girl, a magical boy, and another guy who was just kind of there that I became converted. (No, not Harry Potter. Hunger Games. And, yeah, I was team Peeta)

      I read mostly YA, and my favorite genres are dystopian and contemporary.

        12 comments:

        1. I forgot to add, if I were to pick the best thing I've read this year it would be Jellicoe Road. It's such a great book.

          ReplyDelete
        2. Are you from downtown or the Chicago area? I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, which is why I ask. I didn't realize there's a Chicago connection in Divergent - another reason for me to read it! ;-)

          Thanks for stopping by!

          ReplyDelete
        3. Thank you for stopping by! I grew up in the city, kind of by Midway. I love how there are so many Chicagoland bloggers, though. It really is a fun place. :)
          I guess Divergent is set in future Chicago.

          ReplyDelete
        4. Thanks for dropping by my blog! Armchair BEA is getting pretty interesting.

          I haven't read The Hunger Games series yet (nor Harry Potter either) but I might try to read that sometime. I have heard a lot of good things about those books.

          It's great to meet you, Kathy!

          Brush Up On Your Reading

          ReplyDelete
        5. Loved The Hunger Games series too.

          Please stop by and enter my giveaway.

          ReplyDelete
        6. As Tweedledee and Tweedledum taught me, I'll say how d'you do and shake hands. :)

          Nice to meet you, Kathy. You've got quite the adorable little one there. I'm fascinated by the fact that you weren't a voracious reader until you were a mum; with most of my friends, it ends up being the opposite. That's so cool!

          ReplyDelete
        7. Aww, I love the boy with the bread. And I love that those books are the ones that converting you to reading. =)

          ReplyDelete
        8. 5'8"?! Geez you are tall! I love all you pictures, it's nice getting to learn about you. Thanks for stopping by :)

          xo,
          Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

          ReplyDelete
        9. Thanks for dropping by thebookelement yesterday (I followed you back)! I love YA, too and I'm just now getting into dystopian novels. :) So exciting!

          Hope you enjoy the rest of ABEA week!

          ReplyDelete
        10. Thanks guys! It's really great to meet all of you (and your blogs) through Armchair BEA.

          ReplyDelete
        11. What a great post.
          I love it.

          How cool that you met your honey in a dance class!

          Thanks for your story about what brought you to reading too.

          ReplyDelete