Friday, May 27, 2011

Armchair BEA: Blogging About Blogging

One of the suggested topics today was:

Create a "rule list" of things you should and shouldn't be doing on a book blog.
 
I'm still a newby to book blogging, so I wanted to highlight some fellow bloggers who exemplify things that make their sites easy to love.



First, make it easy to find your posts.
A search widget or an easily accessible list of reviews will do the trick.


Second, make it easy to see your posts.
Some things are just hard to see on a computer. Certain typefaces, light text on a dark background, or a small font are the big ones for me. A post could be the best thing I've never read because I literally can't read it.

Look at these beautiful, easy to see blogs: Truly Bookish; Jenni Elyse 


Third, make it easy to read your posts.
You know how little kids' books are easy to read because they have lots of pictures and not so many words? I think that formula works for posts, too. I'm so guilty of making a long story longer, but. . . it's one of my goals to make my posts more appetizers than five-course meals.

These guys rock the easy to read review: Forever Young Adult; The Story Siren

How about you? What do you like to see in a blog?

7 comments:

  1. I totally, totally agree. Especially about making your posts easy to read. My gosh it drives me crazy when people use weird fonts, especially for their post content. Maybe their eyes are different than mine or something, but there have been a couple blogs where I just couldn't even read their posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! All of those things will make or break me following a blog.

    I don't min colors and fonts and stuff, but make it organized and easy to read.

    I love pictures, so I can't argue on that one. :)

    Jennifer of Little Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly agree! I hate when you click on a blog and the post is miles long with no pictures to break it up, and a funky font to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy to read is a must! Some designs are so pretty but do not make for easy viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whatevs, i love reading your posts. they're always funny and very kathy-like. i also think your blog is a winner because it's easy to read and easy to navigate. good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, as I was reading this post, I kept saying: "Yes, so true. Yep, that! *gasp* THIS!" Lol.

    I think these are three important things that are easy to either overlook, or forget. It drives me nuts when I come across a block of text with no breaks, or an entire post with only cursive font.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I agree with everything you say and wish I had thought about saying it!

    ReplyDelete