Friday, April 22, 2011

Read This: Where She Went

Where She Went
by Gayle Forman

**Spoilers for If I Stay. If you haven't read that, you've been warned**

The Short Story 
After helping Mia recover from the car accident that killed the rest of her family, she walked out of Adam's life for good. Three years later he's a rich and famous (and so messed up) rocker, and she's giving cello concerts at Carnegie Hall. When they meet up by chance in New York, Adam tries to piece together what happened to Mia, their relationship, and himself. Emotional, bitter sweet story about good people who do some crappy things.
4/5

Come for the...
he said, she said. I love reading books where you can see events from different points of view. But unlike a book like Flipped, where you see the same event twice in a row, in this series you see the before from Mia's perspective (If I Stay) and the after from Adam's (Where She Went). You don't technically need to read If I Stay first, but you'll miss out on a lot of the goodness of Where She Went if you don't. Spending so much time with Mia makes her choices at the beginning of Where She Went almost inexplicable.

And I think that's what made me relate to Adam, even though he isn't very likable for much of the book.  I wanted to know why Mia made her choices, and I loved finding instances where it was obvious that she had messed up. I also liked the moments where it was obvious that Adam was taking things the wrong way. Mia and Adam were both flawed but still sympathetic.

Stay for the
closure, the New York tour, the song lyrics

Don't think about this too hard
  • There really wasn't anything that stuck out to me in a bad way for this one, other than that there was a lot of profanity. If this hadn't been written by an author I was already comfortable with the language might have kept me from finishing it.

The Big Three
Language: So, so, so many bad words.  There's maybe 10 different instances of the f-word
Sex and Stuff: nothing too descriptive
Violence: not an issue

I'm giving away a signed copy of Where She Went. Today's the last day to enter, here.

4 comments:

  1. Also, I have to add that I used to really love the cover of this book, until another blogger pointed out that Mia's neck is at a sort of freakish angle. Kind of awkward, considering she's supposed to have been in a car accident. o_O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I love your little sections. I didn't like this one as much as I liked IIS, but I read it right after finishing the first one so I think I'm a bit biased. I'll definitely re read in a while and see if I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't got to read this yet! Our library hasn't gotten it in. I'm looking forward to reading it though. I really loved If I Stay. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lamia Thanks! I didn't like this one quite as much as If I Stay, but that is a hard book to top. I bet that will be one of the best things Gayle Forman writes. :)

    Christy I hope you like it! My library is the same way! Sometimes my library has books ready to go the day they come out, and other times it takes weeks. So I hope yours gets it soon.

    ReplyDelete