Monday, April 25, 2011

It's National Poetry Month

so sweet
and so cold

Did you know that April is national poetry month? I was reminded of this as I read notes Rusty sent me while we were dating (yep, I've kept nearly all of them). He says

In the spirit of 6th grade I am including one of my favorite poems:
Have you ever seen a bird hit the window?
A streak, a boom, and even sometimes some blood.
He's a better artist than poet, but I still kind of like it. Especially because it reminds me of one of my favorite poems, This is Just to Say by William Carlos Williams.

If those don't do it for you, I also appreciate sappy poems. Like Shakespeare's Sonnet 18 (the "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?" one)

And if poetry's not your thing, April is also:
  • Autism Awareness Month (United States)
  • Jazz Appreciation Month (United States)
  • Sexual Assault Awareness Month (United States)
  • National Arab American Heritage Month (United States)
  • National Child Abuse Prevention Month (United States)


While there's still some of April left tell me your favorite poems in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. How could I forgot one of my favorite poets from childhood, Shel Silverstein. I still think a homework machine is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kathy, go to mormon.org and create a profile. then click share your profile on the left and you can pick out of a bunch of different buttons. super easy and good for you too!

    ReplyDelete