Monday, April 11, 2011

How Do You Make Time For Reading?

The other day a friend emailed with an interesting question that I've been having a hard time answering. Maybe you can help?

Here's what she had to say:
I just had a quick question for you if you don't mind me asking. My question is how do you read so much? No, I do not mean that negative like you read too much...I mean it like do you have ideas/suggestions/tips on how to fit more reading into your schedule? . . .  I just love reading and I have a hard time fitting it in.

I definitely didn't start out as a reader; it's really only been in the last couple of years, and then because of a few circumstances.
  • I have a toddler that goes to bed at 7.
  • I have a husband who works from home most nights of the week, after the toddler has gone to bed.
  • We only have like 12 TV channels. 
  • It snows where we live, making indoor activities preferable.
So I became a reader. And then I really started to like it. And then I started reading during my sons naps, too, instead of doing things around the house. (And now I justify that by having him help out around the house.)

That's what works for me. What works for you? If you have a longer answer, email me (kathyreadsthis at gmail dot com) and I'll do another post soon with everyone's ideas. Thanks for your help!

10 comments:

  1. For me, we don't have cable, so that helps, and I tend to pick books with short chapters so I can pick them up and put them down easily. I have three kids and only have so much time for reading, but I am always waiting around for them, so bringing a book helps to pass the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary from BookHounds Forever Young (adult) left me these ideas:

    Give up TV. No not every thing, just one show or read during the commercials. It may not be much, but all those little pages add up to a whole book quickly.

    Audio books are also great to use while doing chores.


    Thanks for the ideas Mary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coreena I hadn't really thought about it, but it's so true that books with shorter chapters are easier to read that way. And always having a book on hand is a great idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bringing a book around works too. Like if you're on a commute or waiting for someone, you can always take your book out and read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips! I need to read during my baby's naps more, instead of watching Netflix. I love reading I just get sucked into other things. --Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a mother of 4, a stay at home mom, an apartment manager with 60 apartments...

    Bottom line, when it is important to you, you carve out the time in your day. It isn't about finding time, its about CREATING time.

    Having me time, keeps me sane. So I make sure I give myself a bit of relaxing time each day. The kids have relaxing time at the same time which helps a lot! Also, because I like to read so much- I brng my kindle with me to pick up the kids, to get the car washed, anywhere there is a little break...

    Hope that helps!

    KW
    http://www.ekfamilybooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate I really need to be a regular book carrier. There's enough room in the diaper bag I usually lug around. :)

    Rachel if I had Netflix I don't think I'd read as much. I'm all for doing whatever you want during your kids' naps, especially if your little girl is still taking two a day.

    KW I so agree about having me time as a mom. When I worked it was sort of built into my schedule (lunch, breaks, clocking out). It's been harder now that I'm home with my son. But happy mom = happy kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! And thanks for posting this, I need some tips on how to manage my reading time!

    I also have difficulty getting some reading done being a full-time college student, but like several other ladies mentioned, I always carry a book with me! If I'm early to class, have a break, or in between classes, I pull out my book and read too.

    I love audiobooks also and I listen to those when driving to and from school. On short car trips to get food or something with my boyfriend, I'll pull out my book and read (but if I read too long, I get car sick :[)

    Whenever I know I have to wait, either in a line or for someone/something to get done, I always have my book :]

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love audio books, too- especially when it is a really good reader. Sometimes I listen while I drive or while I am cleaning or cooking. It is so easy to get sucked into a movie or tv show- so I try not to turn on the tv and instead pick up my book (or listen to it). I am usually happier and more relaxed afterward. The tv will always be there if I want to watch it!

    ~Jess (for some reason when I post it shows up as Fairday, a character from my book/blog)

    ReplyDelete
  10. 7? That's awesome. When I have a little one I want to aim for 7.

    ReplyDelete